Item# 0007 107
Item# 0326 097
Published by Mel Bay.
Item# 0020 167
Item# 7704 100
Out of Stock
80% of violin and viola students drop out by the end of their first year of private study. Of the remaining 20%, three out of four feel stuck at the intermediate level and frustrated by lack of improvement. Dr. Melissa Gerber Knecht has devoted herself to researching and devising a method in which the string player's mind can grasp the necessary understanding of music and his/her instrument pedagogy in order to move forward into advanced repertoire. This development of a “Musical Mental Map” as Dr. Melissa Gerber Knecht describes, “is designed for use in private or group violin lessons for teaching application of music theory directly towards the instrument."
The book is made up of 18 lessons, divided among 4 units, which offer options for self-directed learning or instructor-led teaching. The self-directed learning option is useful for practicing at home, with audio clues and instructions available at MusicalMentalMap.com. While the research and motives behind each lesson is very technical and even scientific, the directions are clear and simple to understand, freeing the student from verbose explanations. The lessons help developing instrumentalists grasp the rudiments of music theory in a way that relates directly to their instrument and written music, using methods like “chunking”, “mental mapping”, and aural skill testing.
“The book, Developing Your Musical Mental Map, is a truly fantastic addition towards helping students develop essential skills to become well rounded musicians!” – Dr. Emily Rolka, President of the Suzuki Association of Minnesota.
"Single-line players need to be able to scan, recognize and anticipate patterns ... Basically, reading words instead of letters." - Dr. Melissa Knecht
Item# 0010 156
by Karen Khanagov
Especially for beginners!
Violinist Karén Khanagov holds masters degrees from both Azerbaijan State Conservatory and the University of Oklahoma. After becoming a refugee, he eventually settled in Oklahoma City, where he currently serves on faculty at Oklahoma City University. As a freelance violinist, he also records, composes, and arranges.
An active and prolific music publisher, Karén Khanagov has created a series of books for every level of string player. With appealing and accessible melodies, progressively more challenging passagework, and practice hints, the entire range of books are written as a skilled teacher would present them, and will appeal to serious player, from beginner to professional.
Unique among scale books, with an included play along practice CD, to help reinforce listening skills and intonation. The goal of I Love My Scales is simple: to help the young student to master their scales, so that playing the violin “will make people happy!”
Note: This book is printed with four different covers, as shown in the images on this page. The book that is shipped will be selected at random, so no specific cover is guaranteed.
Item# 0003 194
Item# 0004 194
Notable O’Connor Method teacher trainer Pam Wiley has been teaching these fundamentals for years, as she led O’Connor Method workshops. Countless teachers told her that she needed to write a book with these lessons, so that they may use them in their own teaching. Hundreds of useful tips on position, posture, theory, and how to approach all the various pieces in O’Connor books one and two: Dozens of hours of lessons in one book, with an emphasis on the tunes in O’Connor Books I and II.
Item# 2934 218
Page 1 of 41Next